I found it really difficult to choose only ten photographs for the last part of this projects, I didn’t wasn’t to miss a section of the recipe, yet I hadn’t chosen to do something that had less than ten steps. Before choosing I had to edit my photographs, I had already narrowed it down to 30 (you can find the full contact sheet with those photographs on the previous post).
There wasn’t an awful lot of editing to do on these photos, mainly I needed to crop and straighten shots, other than that it was all about giving those colours a bit more depth. There are a few examples of how I edited using Lightroom below.
For this one, I simply raised the contrast, saturation a little bit, exposure very slightly and lowered the highlight bar a little to stop it being too over exposed. This gave a much needed boost to the photograph.
I did almost exactly the same to this photograph as in the last (all of the photos really have had the same editing used to create consistency.) however with this one I cropped it (getting rid of the end of the backdrop in the left hand side) and brought down the temperature to create a better white balance.
Another example of the last steps to edit. I really liked this shot, though the wavy wallpaper where it had come loose from the wall was really distracting and a little shabby. So I cropped it out, altered the white balance as well as tightening the contrast, exposure and lowering the highlighting bar.
Now finally onto my final ten images. I did find it so hard to choose only ten (I managed to get it down to 15 no problems!) But here they are ordered in sequence of events, not by favourites.
Overall I am really happy with the end results of this project. There area few things I will definitely be doing differently next time, like using the reflector for even light coverage and not having my studio light quite so close. But other than that I am really pleased, I wanted to create something light and seasonally spring-like, I wanted it to be quite natural and to have crisp images. I do think I’ve achieved all of that. I’m really looking forward to transferring those little on the job know hows over to the next food photography project, and seeing the quality of the end results compared to this time.